Ioshackz.com Apple Releases iOS 13.6 With Car Key Support, News+ Audio Stories, And More
iOS 13.6 includes a new Apple News+ Audio Stories feature. Stories are professionally narrated by voice actors, the audio stories featuring some of the best reads from Apple News+, selected and produced by the Apple News editors as part of your Apple News+ subscription. Also launching today is Apple News Today, which is a free audio briefing on the day’s top stories from the Apple News editors, also available in the Podcasts app.
The update also includes a new “Symptom” section within the Health app, which adds the ability to log new symptoms of various illnesses, including body and muscle aches, appetite changes, coughing, dizziness, headache, nausea, and more, all of which you can share with some third-party apps.
A new switch has been embedded in the update that lets you manage the automatic downloads and installation of future software updates.
iOS 13.6 also brings support for Car Key, designed to allow an iPhone or an Apple Watch to be used as a physical key to unlock an NFC-enabled vehicle. Car Key needs to be implemented by car manufacturers to function, and BMW is one of Apple’s first partners. You can also share digital keys easily with iMessage, and there is even a power reserve mode that lets you unlock and start your car for up to five hours after the iPhone runs out of battery.
You can read Apple’s full list of release notes here:
iOS 13.6 adds support for digital car keys, introduces audio stories in Apple News+, and contains a new symptoms category in the Health app. This release also includes bug fixes and improvements.
Digital car keys
– Unlock, lock, and start your compatible car with your iPhone
– Securely remove digital keys from a lost device via iCloud
– Share digital keys easily with iMessage
– Driver-specific profiles so you can configure shared keys for full-access or restricted driving
– Power reserve lets you unlock and start your car for up to five hours after iPhone runs out of battery
– Audio stories are professionally narrated versions of some of the best reads from Apple News+, selected and produced by the Apple News editors as part of your Apple News+ subscription
– Apple News Today is a new, free audio briefing on the day’s top stories from the Apple News editors, also available in the Podcasts app
– A new Audio tab makes it easy to find Apple News Today and Apple
News+ audio stories
– CarPlay allows you to listen to Apple News Today and Apple News+ audio stories while on the road
– Local news in your Today feed provides extensive coverage of San Francisco, the Bay Area, Los Angeles, Houston, and New York City
– More stories available from local news providers with a subscription to Apple News+
– Your daily newsletter from Apple News can now be personalized with stories that reflect your interests
– New category for symptoms in the Health app, including symptoms logged from Cycle Tracking and ECG
– Ability to log new symptoms, like fever, chills, sore throat or coughing, and share them with third-party apps
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.
– Adds a new setting to choose if updates automatically download to your device when on Wi-Fi
– Addresses an issue that could cause apps to become unresponsive when syncing data from iCloud Drive
– Fixes an issue that could cause data roaming to appear to be disabled on eSIM even though it remained active
– Fixes an issue thats causes some phone calls from Saskatchewan to appear as originating from the United States
– Addresses an issue that could interrupt audio when making phone calls over Wi-Fi Calling
– Fixes an issues that prevented some iPhone 6S and iPhone SE devices from registering for Wi-Fi Calling
– Resolves an issue that could cause the software keyboard to appear unexpectedly when connected to certain third-party hardware keyboards
– Fixes an issue that could cause Japanese hardware keyboards to be incorrectly mapped as a U.S. keyboard
– Addresses stability issues when accessing Control Center when Assistive Touch was enabled
– Provides a mechanism for administrators to specify domains to exclude from traffic carried by always-on VPN connections